[C++-SIG] Re: [PSA MEMBERS] Fw: the dynamic load mystery...

John Skaller skaller at maxtal.com.au
Mon Apr 20 16:33:51 CEST 1998

At 16:23 17/04/98 +0200, Konrad Hinsen wrote:

>No, but it's my problem. I am trying to convince my colleagues to use
>Python (and my libraries), but among the people I know, more than 50%
>have given up due to installation problems related to NumPy. That was
>supposed to be fixed by the new version...

        Keep trying. Hard task.

>BTW, what was the problem that caused you to ask for a change in the
>behaviour under HP/UX?

        Not HP/UX particularly: I'm running Linux.

>I understand that it's nicer to get error
>messages immediately for testing, but was there any other problem? If
>the 1.4 behaviour is fine for production use, maybe it is more
>reasonable to use the 1.5 behaviour only in debugging mode.

        From memory there are _two_ switches: either immediate load
(RTLD_NOW) or defered load (RTLD_LAZY)
(that's _one_ switch :-), and also a flag to
'share' symbols, RTLD_GLOBAL.

        The sharing flag allows one dynamically loaded
library to make its symbols available to another (I think).
I think it was this flag that needed to be added. Not sure. :-(

        So you could be right, RTLD_LAZY could still be used.
John Skaller    email: skaller at maxtal.com.au
		http://www.maxtal.com.au/~skaller
		phone: 61-2-96600850
		snail: 10/1 Toxteth Rd, Glebe NSW 2037, Australia