[C++-SIG] Re: [PSA MEMBERS] Fw: the dynamic load mystery...

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at ibs.ibs.fr
Tue Apr 21 19:03:52 CEST 1998

>         From memory there are _two_ switches: either immediate load
> (RTLD_NOW) or defered load (RTLD_LAZY)
> (that's _one_ switch :-), and also a flag to
> 'share' symbols, RTLD_GLOBAL.
>
>         The sharing flag allows one dynamically loaded
> library to make its symbols available to another (I think).
> I think it was this flag that needed to be added. Not sure. :-(
>
>         So you could be right, RTLD_LAZY could still be used.

I'll probably try some combinations...

Anyway, I changed my mind about the NumPy problem. It has to be
something else than I thought. In fact, NumPy modules do not use any
symbols from other modules. They just import another module and
retrieve a pointer from it (via a CObject), and then they do function
calls through this pointer. As far as dynamic library loading is
concerned, the modules are independent.

Conclusion: I still don't know why NumPy has problems under HP/UX.
But the change in dlopen() parameters is still worth exploring.
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen at ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais