[C++-SIG] Restarting

Marc Poinot poinot at onera.fr
Fri Apr 30 10:12:11 CEST 1999

Geoffrey Furnish wrote:

> Could you post the versions of each of these compilers?  And the
> failure mode for each?  Paul's CXX stuff didn't use member templates,
> so it /really should/ work with all those compilers.

Using the DEC v6.1 compiler (with some modifications
because IOstream is out of std namespace),
I failed with distribution 11 (see end of mail).
Maybe it's a problem of incomplete template instanciation?
Any tips?

>  > - EGCS doesn't handle automatic instanciation
>  >   elsewhere than Sun and Linux. We use both
>  >   automatic and explicit with our application
>  >   and it's not-funny and difficult work. But
>  >   we *want* our application run on many platforms.
>
> Uhh, this doesn't sound right.  egcs does do--or is supposed to
> do--automatic instantiation on all targets.

I tried again with last snapshot, it fails.
I also get binutils to have the gnu ld
but it fails on an as option.
I can send you (or cygnus) the trace, I feel like
a get-the-next-gnu-tool-to-go-further problem...

Marcvs [alias Then, once again I'm frustrated :{  And I'm
        going back to Python code :]

--- PYTHON LINE --- CROSS AT YOUR OWN RISK ---

cxx: Error: /usr/include/cxx/algorithm, line 742: no instance of
          overloaded function "value_type" matches the argument list
            argument types are: (Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator)
          detected during:
            instantiation of "void
                      std::__quick_sort_loop(RandomAccessIterator,
                      RandomAccessIterator) [with

RandomAccessIterator=Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator]"
                      at line 834
            instantiation of "void std::sort(RandomAccessIterator,
                      RandomAccessIterator) [with

RandomAccessIterator=Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator]"
                      at line 205 of "./Demo/example.cxx"
    __quick_sort_loop_aux(first, last, _RWSTD_VALUE_TYPE(first));
---------------------------------------^
cxx: Error: /usr/include/cxx/algorithm, line 742: no instance of
          overloaded function "__quick_sort_loop_aux" matches the
argument list
            argument types are: (Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator,
                      Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator, <error-type>)
          detected during:
            instantiation of "void
                      std::__quick_sort_loop(RandomAccessIterator,
                      RandomAccessIterator) [with

RandomAccessIterator=Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator]"
                      at line 834
            instantiation of "void std::sort(RandomAccessIterator,
                      RandomAccessIterator) [with

RandomAccessIterator=Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator]"
                      at line 205 of "./Demo/example.cxx"
    __quick_sort_loop_aux(first, last, _RWSTD_VALUE_TYPE(first));
----^
cxx: Error: /usr/include/cxx/algorithm.cc, line 1082: no instance
          of overloaded function "value_type" matches the argument list
            argument types are: (Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator)
          detected during:
            instantiation of "void
std::__insertion_sort(RandomAccessIterator,
                      RandomAccessIterator) [with

RandomAccessIterator=Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator]"
                      at line 1118
            instantiation of "void
                      std::__final_insertion_sort(RandomAccessIterator,
                      RandomAccessIterator) [with

RandomAccessIterator=Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator]"
            __linear_insert(first, i, _RWSTD_VALUE_TYPE(first));
--------------------------------------^
cxx: Error: /usr/include/cxx/algorithm.cc, line 1082: no instance
          of overloaded function "__linear_insert" matches the argument
list
            argument types are: (Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator,
                      Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator, <error-type>)
          detected during:
            instantiation of "void
std::__insertion_sort(RandomAccessIterator,
                      RandomAccessIterator) [with

RandomAccessIterator=Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator]"
                      at line 1118
            instantiation of "void
                      std::__final_insertion_sort(RandomAccessIterator,
                      RandomAccessIterator) [with

RandomAccessIterator=Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator]"
            __linear_insert(first, i, _RWSTD_VALUE_TYPE(first));
------------^
cxx: Error: /usr/include/cxx/algorithm, line 805: no instance of
          overloaded function "value_type" matches the argument list
            argument types are: (Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator)
          detected during:
            instantiation of "void

std::__unguarded_insertion_sort(RandomAccessIterator,
                      RandomAccessIterator) [with

RandomAccessIterator=Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator]"
                      at line 1119 of "/usr/include/cxx/algorithm.cc"
            instantiation of "void
                      std::__final_insertion_sort(RandomAccessIterator,
                      RandomAccessIterator) [with

RandomAccessIterator=Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator]"
    __unguarded_insertion_sort_aux(first, last,
_RWSTD_VALUE_TYPE(first));
------------------------------------------------^
cxx: Error: /usr/include/cxx/algorithm, line 805: no instance of
          overloaded function "__unguarded_insertion_sort_aux" matches
the
          argument list
            argument types are: (Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator,
                      Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator, <error-type>)
          detected during:
            instantiation of "void

std::__unguarded_insertion_sort(RandomAccessIterator,
                      RandomAccessIterator) [with

RandomAccessIterator=Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator]"
                      at line 1119 of "/usr/include/cxx/algorithm.cc"
            instantiation of "void
                      std::__final_insertion_sort(RandomAccessIterator,
                      RandomAccessIterator) [with

RandomAccessIterator=Py::SeqBase<Py::Object>::iterator]"
    __unguarded_insertion_sort_aux(first, last,
_RWSTD_VALUE_TYPE(first));
----^
cxx: Info: 6 errors detected in the compilation of "./Demo/example.cxx".