[C++-SIG] Python calling C++ issues

Paul F. Dubois dubois1 at llnl.gov
Wed Dec 1 23:23:24 CET 1999

> Rant aside, what compiler is going to support different datatype sizes
> for stuff declared extern "C" than for native C++ types?  Get real.

Gotcha.

IBM, that's who. It was IBM who insisted on the C++ standard specifiying that
a pointer to an extern "C" function and a pointer to a C++ function with the
same signature are type incompatible. Without this provision they claimed they
could not implement C++ on one of their mainframes. I don't have the article
in front of me but this point was the subject of a column in the C++ Report
(Aug 99, I think).

I have some improvements to CXX thanks to Barry Scott but I am going to have to
figure out what this annoying change to the standard means before doing any
more.