[C++-SIG] Re: Python calling C++ issues

Greg Couch gregc at cgl.ucsf.EDU
Thu Dec 2 20:49:48 CET 1999

Guido van Rossum <guido at CNRI.Reston.VA.US>:

> Rant aside, what compiler is going to support different datatype sizes
> for stuff declared extern "C" than for native C++ types?  Get real.

My understanding is that the issue usually isn't datatype sizes, it's
the calling convention.  The ABI for C++ functions may be different than
for C functions.  extern "C" gives that the C++ compiler that clue.
Clueless compilers require extension keywords, such as __cdecl, for
similar effects.

	Greg Couch
	gregc at cgl.ucsf.edu
	(c++-sig digest reader)