[C++-SIG] Restarting

Alexis Layton alex at inconcert.com
Wed Jul 14 18:22:59 CEST 1999

Geoffrey,

I was responding to your message of a week ago, in which you stated
a laundry list:

> I think the Python C++ bindings should live in namespace Py.
> I think we should keep avoid use of partial specialization since MS
> won't have it until at least VC++ 7.0.
> I think we should avoid having any part of the C++ binding /depend/ on
> member templates, because Sun 5.0 doesn't have them.
> I think we should provide some conveniences as optional facilities
> that are implemented with member templates.  By making these "inline
> member templates", they'll work with MS VC++ 6.0, Code Warior, EDG
> variants, egcs.  Perhaps this could be controlled via "member template
> autodetection" in the configure, resulting in a config.h flag that
> would allow CPP based inclusion or exclusion of these facilities,
> depending on whether the compiler the user is using at configure time,
> is up to the task or not.

For compilers, we use SC5.0 for Sun, and HP's aCC on HP-UX.
(As a company we tend to support "native" compilers on commercial
OS for our product (InConcert), and that is what we are interested
in extending with Python.

Alexis Layton				InConcert Incorporated,
Sr. Software Engineer			A Xerox New Enterprises Company
alex at InConcert.COM			Four Cambridge Center
+1 617 499-4443				Cambridge, MA  02142-1494