[C++-SIG] Problems building and testing CXX demo

Steve Harris sharris at primus.com
Tue May 9 01:07:31 CEST 2000

[g++ 2.95.2 on solaris 2.5.1]

I'm trying to build the latest CXX demonstration module 'example' and
run its test suite. Seeing that CXX ships with a 'setup.py' file, I
used Distutils to build and install the module. I was also careful to
follow the Readme file's warnings about first building Python with the
LINKCC and LDSHARED environmental variables set.

Python built fine, and the 'example' module builds fine - though it
takes about 30 minutes to build! Once I install the built 'example'
module, I can fire up the python interpreter and type

>>> from example import *
... (an 'r' gets created and destroyed)
>>> test()

At that point, python aborts and dumps core. The stack trace looks
like a thrown exception is leaking out and aborting the program.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? I can provide a stack trace if
necessary.

Can anyone provide some advice on how to build the 'python.cxx' sample
interpreter that's supposed to link with the 'example' module?

I've tried to work through adding this module to a 'Setup.in' file and
going through the 'Makefile.pre.in' steps to build an embedded
interpreter, but that all seems like overkill for such a deceptively
simple task.

Any input would be appreciated.

--
Steven E. Harris