[C++-SIG] Re: Problems building and testing CXX demo

Steve Harris sharris at primus.com
Tue May 9 07:17:30 CEST 2000

Phil Austin <phil at geog.ubc.ca> writes:

> I can't help with most of this, but here's an example of a
> successful build of python.o using KCC under solaris 2.6

If I replace your KCC invocations with g++, I can get to this point by
occasionally including a '-g' to overcome some problems with Sun's
assembler. So I can get all of the object files compiled. This is
where I get in trouble:

> KCC  python.o -o mypython  -L/nfs/brant/local1/lib/python/solaris/lib/python1.5/config \
>           -lpython1.5 -lm -lnsl -lsocket -ldl ./libcxx.so

In my case, I translate this to look like:

> g++ python.o -o mypython -L ~/usr/local/lib/python1.5/config \
  -lpython1.5 -lm -lnsl -lsocket -ldl ./libcxx.so
in                                  ./libcxx.so
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to mypython
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Note that there's a symbol "in" that's missing. I can use 'nm' to
isolate that symbol:

> nm ./libcxx.so | egrep '\|in$'
[873]   |         0|       0|NOTY |GLOB |0    |UNDEF  |in

At this point, I'm stumped. I can't find any such variable in the
code. Any ideas what this could mean?

Thanks for your help so far.

Steven E. Harris
Primus Knowledge Solutions, Inc.