[C++-SIG] Re: C++ extension module crashes on Solaris

Geoffrey Furnish furnish at actel.com
Fri May 19 23:35:37 CEST 2000

 > Maybe you didn't catch the end of my first post. I did build my Python
 > with the '-Wl,-E', but I never saw those options actually get used in
 > the build. I pushed the options into my LDSHARED environment variable
 > before running configure. I can tell that those options did get
 > captured in the Makefile. It seems that by default the Python build
 > doesn't create any shared objects, so maybe that's why my LDSHARED
 > options never came into play.
 >
 > Should I be trying to get the '-Wl,-E' option crammed into some other
 > build-time variable? I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I understand which
 > parts of the system will wind up caring about those options.

You need to make sure they got used when doing the final link step of
Python.  You could check this by just rm'ing python, and then typing
make again.  This will just run the final link step, and it will be
easy to see /exactly/ what got done.  -Wl,-E needs to be there.  If
it's not, trying just pasting in the link line by hand, adding the
options, and then seeing if this python can import your .so.

I don't know how to influence the "standard stuff" very well, maybe
others can respond on this point.

Geoffrey Furnish            Actel Corporation        furnish at actel.com
Senior Staff Engineer      955 East Arques Ave       voice: 408-522-7528
Placement & Routing     Sunnyvale, CA   94086-4533   fax:   408-522-8041

"... because only those who write the code truly control the project."
						      -- Jamie Zawinski