[C++-SIG] Submitting candidate changes to CXX

Paul F. Dubois dubois1 at llnl.gov
Tue May 23 21:05:27 CEST 2000

On Tue, 23 May 2000, you wrote:
> I started working a CVS checkout of CXX today and found some nits that
> I'd like to fix. I've changed the code here, but I don't have write
> access to the CVS tree (and nor should I). What is the process for
> getting candidate changes reviewed, approved, and submitted?
>
> The nature of my changes are:
> * Tighten const-correctness where possible
> * Reduce repetitive lookups into std::map
> * Eliminate some (explicit named) temporary variables
> * Eliminate heap-allocated static variables (that won't get cleaned up)
>
> Please advise.
>
> --
> Steven E. Harris
> Primus Knowledge Solutions, Inc.
> http://www.primus.com

There is a patch manager on the project page. You make a patch and put it
there. One of us picks it up, examines the changes and if happy installs it.

Can you explain your last point? You mean I had a memory leak?

At least one of them is on purpose: when you initialize the module you have to
make sure that the Module object has an infinite lifetime.

It shouldn't be necessary to eliminate temporaries; any good compiler will do
this.  There are some in the tests that look like temporaries but in fact are
doing Python-type checking and for debugging purposes I did things in steps.

Thanks for helping us.