[C++-sig] crash with gcc 3.0.4

Robert Andre randre at pppl.gov
Wed Apr 24 18:00:54 CEST 2002

I had previously posted a message which contained some problems I had
been experiencing with boost/gcc/linux.  The suggestion of using the
latest python 2.2 release fixed the pickle test failures - thanks.
The other two problems are not boost related but irritating nonetheless:
  1) exceptions sometimes loose their type information so error
     messages are lost (weird).
  2) segmentation fault in ostringstream called from boost when using
     cross module support.

I can't seem to reduce the first to a simple test case but the segmentation
fault wasn't too hard.  It fails on both a linux mandrake kernel 2.2/gcc 3.0.4
and linux redhat 7.1/gcc 3.0.2 (rpm), both dual processor machines.  For
anybody who is interested in it I posted a small set of files on
http://w3.pppl.gov/~randre/bomb.tgz  which builds two shared libraries and
two dynamic libraries.  You have to change a couple of lines in the makefile
to reflect the location of your includes and library.  One python script runs
(ok.py) and the other crashes (bomb.py) depending on the order of loading of
the external modules.

rob