[C++-sig] continuing problems with bpl & jam

Srivatsan Raghavan vraghavan at cnmnetwork.com
Mon Aug 5 22:14:42 CEST 2002

after taking dave's earlier info and recompiling using the
-sBUILD="debug-python" option
i again tried linking to boost_python_pydebug.lib
but was still getting the runtime error saying that it can't find
boost_python.dll (which it shouldnt' since only boost_python_pydebug.dll
is in the path) ..
for a while i couldnt' figure out what my problems where.. i was *ONLY*
linking to the pydebug version
eventually i looked at boost_python_pydebug.lib in gvim, and it appears
that the stub is pointing to boost_python.dll , why is this?
my reasoning was cause of how jam works..
it does all the building and linking in different directories and giving
all the various versions (debug python, debug and release) the *SAME*
name in their individual directories..
then doing a copy & rename of the file.. so that the lib's are still
pointing their local version of boost_python.dll but in the \bin-stage
directory, that would be the release version ..
here is a graphical explanation

python\build
    bin
        boost_pythondll
            msvc
                debug\runtime-link-dynamic
                        boost_python.lib & boost_python.dll

                debug-python\runtime-link-dynamic
                    boost_python.lib & boost_python.dll

                release\runtime-link-dynamic
                    boost_python.lib & boost_python.dll
    bin-stage
        boost_python.dll
        boost_python_debug.dll
        boost_python_pydebug.dll
        #all of these files point to boost_python.dll
        boost_python.lib
        boost_python_debug.lib
        boost_python_pydebug.lib

is this problem fixable? and how?