[C++-sig] packaging and distribution

Rene Rivera grafik666 at redshift-software.com
Tue Aug 20 19:06:56 CEST 2002

[2002-08-20] Leonardo Rochael Almeida wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I was looking for a way to move stuff around after boost.build builds them,
and
>so I found the 'stage' rule for bjam. However, I didn't find a way to
>reference a built extension module.
>
>For instance, in libs/python/build/Jamfile, the rule: 'dll boost_python'
>builds, libboost_python.so in unix, which can then be referenced by the
>stage rule 'bin-stage', in that same Jamfile, as <dll>boost_python.
>
>So, when I use an 'extension someextension' rule, how do I reference the
>resulting someextension.so file in a 'stage' rule? I tried
>'<extension>someextension', but this doesn't seem to work.

Try: <pyd>someextension -- It should/might work as "PYD" is what python.jam
uses for building the extensions.

>The reason for this question is that I'm looking for an equivalent of
>'make install'. More to the point, I want to move libboost_python.so
>into some ld.so.conf sanctioned area and the extensions that depend on
>it to the appropriate site-packages directory, so that I don't have to
>keep munging LD_LIBRARY_PATH or PYTHONPATH variables to test stuff.

I'm not sure "stage" will help you with that. Or at least I didn't write it
to handle things like that ;-)

It might work if you specify an absolute path for the stage, as in
"/usr/local/somepath", but I wouldn't count on it.

>Maybe what I really need is to know how to integrate boost.build with
>distutils...

To "integrate" it you'd have to do a two step process. First using "stage"
to move the file to someplace within the build hierarchy... and then
writting your own distutils scripts to "install" the files. Can't help you
in the disutils script though.

-- grafik - Don't Assume Anything
-- rrivera at acm.org - grafik at redshift-software.com
-- 102708583 at icq - Grafik666 at AIM - Grafik at jabber.org