[C++-sig] Why Python for C++ programmers

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Thu Dec 5 21:36:34 CET 2002

Hi All,

I'm starting work on some articles and talks about Boost.Python. Some
of these are primarily for a "C++ audience", and I'll have to at least
briefly make the case for why a C++ programmer should care about
Python. Some of the answers are obvious to me, but I thought I should
get additional feedback from a group who must have their own
well-thought-out reasons.

Here are some things I've thought of.

In broad strokes, they're complimentary because:

* C++ is hard. Python is easy

* C++ is fast. Python is small

* C++ is "dangerous" (easy to crash). Python is "safe"

* C++ is rigorous. Python is loose.

* C++ is compiled. Python is interactive.

* C++ has a deep and focused standard library. Python has broad
  libraries

* C++ has limited introspection capability. Everything in Python is
  introspectable

* C++ is supported to varying degrees on different platforms. The
  latest Python really does run ``everywhere''.

Other thoughts?

--
                       David Abrahams