[C++-sig] multiply defined to_python_converter

Langston, Matthew David langston at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Wed Dec 11 20:00:18 CET 2002

If every Boost.Python module had their own registry (as opposed to a
global registry), wouldn't this solve the problem? It would just mean
that type conversions for any type other than the Python built-ins
might be duplicated from time to time.

But this might not be a bad thing, since there are potentially an
infinite number of ways to convert these more complex types. For
example, I thought it was obvious that a std::vector<int> should
just convert to a Python tuple. It never even occurred to me that
someone might actually want a class_<std::vector<> > instead.

My current problem with the global registry was simply solved by
commenting out my C++ to_python_converter and recompiling since, in
this particular instance, I could rely on the third-party library to
supply the conversion functionality that I needed. However, this
forces an implicit dependency of my module on the third-party module.
There is no way for me to distribute my module standalone.

The "explicit is better than implicit" argument would seem to apply
here. It would be more work for the Boost.Python module writer, but
they would have full control over their conversions and their modules
wouldn't have any implicit dependencies on other modules.

-Matt