[C++-sig] Preview of Boost.Python V2 problems

David Abrahams david.abrahams at rcn.com
Wed Feb 6 14:43:29 CET 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arnaldur Gylfason" <arnaldur at decode.is>
To: <c++-sig at python.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 6:49 AM
Subject: [C++-sig] Preview of Boost.Python V2 problems

> I tried importing 1 of the test modules and got the following error:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError:

../../libs/python/bin/bpl/gcc/debug-python/runtime-link-dynamic/shared-linka
ble-true/bpl.so:

> undefined symbol: _Py_RefTotal

Wow, I guess I left out some important information!
The default build is a debug-python build, which requires a special build of
Python (configured with --with-pydebug). You want a regular debug build,
which you can achieve with -sBUILD=debug on your Jam command-line.

> Another thing, the modules specify a relative path to bpl.so.
> When importing e.g. m1, it can't find bpl.so unlessit it is in
> [prefix]/libs/python since it always looks for

../../libs/python/bin/bpl/gcc/debug-python/runtime-link-dynamic/shared-linka
ble-true/bpl.so

> (I tried i)using -Wl,-rpath,dir , ii) specifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH , but to
> no avail)
>
> jam should be able to figure out the absolute path so couldn't it specify
> an absolute path to the shared library file?

Yes, this was only recently brought to my attention by Rene Rivera. I
believe he has a patch for this problem, but I'm not sure he's appplied it
yet. Rene?