[C++-sig] First time pointers, first crash...

David Abrahams david.abrahams at rcn.com
Tue Feb 19 16:23:39 CET 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Franke" <franke at ableton.com>

> No I'm not. I'm building Boost.Python as part of an MSVC workspace that
> contains 65 other subprojects -- our app is rather big. My reasons for
> not using Boost.Build are
>
> - I don't know how to use jam. I'm able to build & run the demos like
>   shown in the docs, but I don't even know how the set up and run this
>   little test example like you did. Maybe you can give me a few hints.

Have you read the documentation for Boost.Build at
www.boost.org/tools/build/build_system.htm?
If you still have questions, I suggest you post at
www.yahoogroups.com/messages/jamboost

> One general question here: Are users of Boost in general supposed to learn
> jam?

What does "supposed to" mean?

> Since I consider my case pretty "real-world", I hope there is - and
> ever will be - a way and some documentation how to build the libs
> generically.

What does "generically" mean?

We'll probably start providing pre-built libs for some platforms, and
library authors are free to provide additional means, such as makefiles, but
in general, Boost.Build is going to be the official build system for all
Boost libraries.

-Dave