[C++-sig] Cygwin Boost.Python Build

Scott A. Smith ssmith at magnet.fsu.edu
Sat May 25 21:27:23 CEST 2002

Hi Dave,

I have done a fresh install of Cygwin with Python on my home machine and
ready to reattempt the build. There is one difference in the directory
struction and I see that you asked about earlier.

>> In additon, (cygwin)/usr/lib is set one and the same with (cygwin)/lib.
> Huh? You mean there's a link?

On my other machine there is some sort of link, not visible in the Windows
file manager. That is, /usr/lib does not show up at all. In a bash shell
they are the same. Sorry I didn't look to see how they did that before
leaving work. On my home machine /usr/lib is just empty and separate from
/lib. The Python stuff is in the same places I mentioned before. None of
this matters at this point in the build.

>These (problems) are consequence of my not having tested the build with
just Cygwin
>on my machine... and some missing quotes in tools/build/gcc-tools.jam.
>Arrggh!

> The enclosed patch fixes the problems.

I used patch and your patch.dat to fix the file in tools\build\jam_src. Now
to I need to rebuild Jam? I assume that I need to, but again I am puzzled.
You mentioned that I had to use a prebuilt Windows jam to build
Boost.Python, not a Cygwin build Jam. If I use make to build a new Jam this
will be a Cygwin bjam.exe. Will that work? I see that Jam can also be used
to rebuild itself. I that a better way to go? If so I cannot find any
instructions on how to build Jam with Jam.

> Really, it failed and still generated output? That's odd. Normally jam
> removes the product when a build step fails.
> Gee, I don't know. Why was it trying to build multiple versions of the
> library, I wonder? What is your BUILD variable set to?

I thought this was strange too. As you can see from the previous message,
I used
                     bjam -sTOOLS=gcc -sBUILD=release

> Sorry this is turning out to be so rough

Well I'm just glad you are willing to suffer along with me. I know very well
how difficult it is to keep everything working for different
OS/Compiler(/Python/Boost) combinations.I think it is close to working, just
wish I understood the jam stuff better and could just patch things myself.
Let me know what to do about Jam after the patch and I'll give it another
try.

Regards,
Scott