[C++-sig] BPL, Mingw g++, and MSVC Python

John Barnard barnard at stat.harvard.edu
Tue May 28 20:39:57 CEST 2002

I'm trying to determine if it's possible to do the following under MS
Windows 2000:

(1) Compile a C++ class file into a DLL using Mingw g++ 2.95.3 or 3.1;

(2) Create a Python interface to the class using Boost.Python v2, again
using Mingw g++ 2.95.3 or 3.1

(3) Call the Python interface DLL from a MSVC++ compiled Python 2.2.

I'm mainly confused about the ability of a g++ compiled Python extension
to use g++ compiled DLLs (created from C++ source) when using a MSVC++
compiled version of Python. Given that only the DLL version of BPL is
being supported, if my above scenario can't be done, does that imply
you can't create wrappers to C++ code via BPL with g++ and use them with
MSVC++ compiled Python?

I've done this in the past with a static lib of Boost.Python v1 but I
would like to use v2.

Thanks,

John

--