[C++-sig] MSVC project file

Scott A. Smith ssmith at magnet.fsu.edu
Mon Nov 11 17:40:15 CET 2002

Bruce,

Thanks for the MSVC++ project for Boost.Python. I hope it will elucidate
some aspects of building Boost.Python as I still find jam to be too much of
a black-box.

Today I downloaded the Boost distribution (1.29.0) and built it using bjam.
That was done in a DOSish command window on Windows 2000, I have MSVC++ V6.
I ran the tests after the build and things went to completion, so I believe
that build is OK.

Then I attempted to use your MSVC project to accomplish the build.
Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. Perhaps you could clarify how it is
used. I think I have a late service pack for MSVC, so that should not be a
problem. I did not alter the config.hpp file, but I that will not prevent
any the build problems I see.

1.) Without a workspace, my MSVC version complains a lot and sometimes even
crashes.
    I think they recommend that a workspace is used even if it only contains
    single project? It automatically will make one if it doesn't die first.

2.) Why do you use /Zm800 several times in the compiler options? Does that
do something more
    with the available memory than a single one?

3.) It looks as if the libraries will be built in ../test not ./bin as you
specified? These are
    called bpl_d.dll and boost_python.dll respectively in the project you
sent out, not boost_python_d.dll.
    Is it true that "bpl" is the Boost.Python library name now? The builds I
did today with Jam made
    boost_python.dll libraries, but I think this is Boost.Python V2?

4.) None of the Boost.Python headers are included in the project. Should
they be? I set the
    header includes directory (globally using Tools-Options), is that good
enough?

5.) Lastly, MSVC++ just begins spitting out errors during the build. Have
you used MSVC V6
    with Boost 1.29.0 and this project? Here is a sample of the errors:

arg_to_python_base.cpp
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\mmreg.h(1383) : error
C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'wFormatTag'
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\mmreg.h(1383) : error
C2501: 'WORD' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\mmreg.h(1383) : error
C2501: 'wFormatTag' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\mmreg.h(1384) : error
C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'nChannels'
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\mmreg.h(1384) : error
C2501: 'WORD' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\mmreg.h(1384) : error
C2501: 'nChannels' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\mmreg.h(1385) : error
C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'nSamplesPerSec'

I have built many other projects with MSVC++, although I would not swear
that this isn't a compiler problem.
I have no clue why mmreg.h is even included at all. I'll look around in the
MS KnowledgeBase, but perhaps you have seen something similar? It may just
be some compiler flag(s) set wrong?

Thanks,
Scott