[C++-sig] Problem with vc++ 7

Bjorn Pettersen BPettersen at NAREX.com
Tue Nov 19 18:19:12 CET 2002

> From: David Abrahams [mailto:dave at boost-consulting.com]
>
> "Bjorn Pettersen" <BPettersen at NAREX.com> writes:
>
> >> From: Paul F. Kunz [mailto:Paul_Kunz at SLAC.Stanford.EDU]
> >>
> >>    Environment: boost 1.28.0, VC++ 7.0, Windows 2000 and XP.
> >>
> >>    My Python extension module fails to intialize.
> > [...]
> >
> > A number of incompatibilities between Python built with VC6 and
> > extensions built with VC7 has been reported due to different
run-time
> > libraries. The Python developers are aware of this, however they're
> > unlikely to move to VC7 until at least some of the most common
> > extensions are ported. (Besides, they don't have a VC7 optimizing
> > compiler yet, which makes it kind of difficult ;-) You can always
> > compile Python with VC7 yourself, although you'll probably have to
get
> > some files from cvs...
>
> FWIW I have never had any problems testing Boost extensions
> built with VC7 against a vc6 build of Python.

Thanks for that info, it could potentially make my life a lot easier
<wink>. Looking over my emails again it seems the problem was with
Python built with VC7 and extensions built with VC6. Martin von Loewis
and Thomas Heller both reported crashes in this scenario. Tim Peters is
also intimately involved with this issue, so if anyone has any insight
it might be worth it to report it to PythonDev...

-- bjorn