[C++-sig] Problem with vc++ 7

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 19 18:47:10 CET 2002

--- David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:
> "Bjorn Pettersen" <BPettersen at NAREX.com> writes:
>
> >> From: Paul F. Kunz [mailto:Paul_Kunz at SLAC.Stanford.EDU]
> >>
> >>    Environment: boost 1.28.0, VC++ 7.0, Windows 2000 and XP.
> >>
> >>    My Python extension module fails to intialize.
> > [...]
> >
> > A number of incompatibilities between Python built with VC6 and
> > extensions built with VC7 has been reported due to different run-time
> > libraries. The Python developers are aware of this, however they're
> > unlikely to move to VC7 until at least some of the most common
> > extensions are ported. (Besides, they don't have a VC7 optimizing
> > compiler yet, which makes it kind of difficult ;-) You can always
> > compile Python with VC7 yourself, although you'll probably have to get
> > some files from cvs...
>
> FWIW I have never had any problems testing Boost extensions built with
> VC7 against a vc6 build of Python.

FWIW2, we have quite a complex system now with >20 extension modules. There are
all kinds of little nasty problems on all kinds of platforms, except our VC7
build which has been rock solid (once we got past the notorious ICE and
internal structure overflows). But our experience is limited a bit because we
only have the non-optimizing VC7 edition.
Ralf