[C++-sig] Re: debuging

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 19 23:28:15 CET 2002

--- Mike Rovner <mike at bindkey.com> wrote:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> TypeError: bad argument type for built-in operation
>
> I certainly would like to have cpp traceback through BPL library code (I'm
> using debug version) but I don't know how.

I have doubts that the C++ traceback will help very much. I normally solve
these problems by staring at the function signature for a moment. If you are
using more than one extension module, also consider if you need to load any
other modules in order to have the required converters registered.

For your entertainment: if it gets more involved (i.e. if there are real bugs)
I resort to print statements. Clearly very low tech, but incredibly portable.

Ralf

BTW: It would be nice if Boost.Python gave a more specific error message as it
did in version 1, but then there is to problem with gcc's (and other
compilers?) mangled names. We need a volunteer with enough time to address this
issue...