[C++-sig] Re: Re: debuging

Mike Rovner mike at bindkey.com
Tue Nov 19 23:42:21 CET 2002

"Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve" <rwgk at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:20021119222815.41802.qmail at web20206.mail.yahoo.com...
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> > TypeError: bad argument type for built-in operation
> >
> > I certainly would like to have cpp traceback through BPL library code
(I'm
> > using debug version) but I don't know how.
>
> I have doubts that the C++ traceback will help very much. I normally solve
> these problems by staring at the function signature for a moment. If you
are
> using more than one extension module, also consider if you need to load
any
> other modules in order to have the required converters registered.

Nope. One module.
(strarring..........................................................;)
I vaguly recall that probably one error was fixed in cvs regarding that.
I have

struct  X {
    std::string Name() { return name;}
private:
    std::string name;
};

struct Obj : X { ... };

class_<Obj>("Obj").add_property("name", &Obj::Name);

and in that case I have to cast Obj::Name to something as workaround. Can't
find it. :(

But I have several such places and wondered about generic technique.

> BTW: It would be nice if Boost.Python gave a more specific error message
as it
> did in version 1, but then there is to problem with gcc's (and other
> compilers?) mangled names. We need a volunteer with enough time to address
this
> issue...

What is the problem? Write the demangler? Can you explain it a little,
please?

Regards,
Mike