[C++-sig] Incrementing reference count of returned object pointer

Patrick Hartling patrick at vrac.iastate.edu
Wed Nov 20 21:56:57 CET 2002

I am having some difficulty using boost::python::call<T>() to invoke a
Python function that returns a pointer.  I understand that the callback
semantics cause an exception to be thrown if the reference count of the
returned object is 1, so I am wondering how to increment the reference
count.  The code that receives the reference will be holding onto it, so
of course I don't want it to be garbage collected.

For some background, what I am working on involves an abstract base class
written in C++ that will be extended using a derived Python class.  I
would like to be able to use Python-defined objects in C++ as though they
were polymorphic instances of the base class (which they are--at least
conceptually).  My long-term goal is to be able to load Python modules on
the fly that define a subclass of the abstract base class.  To get a
reference to an instance of the derived Python class, I want to have a
factory function that simply returns the instance.  This factory function
would be called by the C++ code (via boost::python::call<T>() or some
other similarly friendly mechanism), and the result would be treated as a
reference to the abstract base class.  What this all boils down to is an
interface defined in C++ that can be implemented in Python (or any
language) where instances of the interface implementations will be used
in C++.  So, given a PyObject* factory_func that is the callable factory
function, I want to do something like this:

    Base* obj = boost::python::call<Base*>(factory_func);

As I understand it, the need to deal with the reference counting means
that my code can't be quite that simple.  I have the Python module
implemented to the point where I can write a Python application that
instantiates the derived class and hands it off to the C++ code.  The
next step is having the C++ code request the derived class instance from
a given module.

I've done a little bit of searching around, and I saw a reference to
boost::python::handle<T> as a mechanism to deal with reference-counted
Python objects.  Is that the way to go, and if so, how do I use this
class?  The Boost.Python reference doesn't have an example, so I am not
sure how to put it to use.

  -Patrick

--
Patrick L. Hartling                     | Research Assistant, VRAC
patrick at vrac.iastate.edu                | 2624 Howe Hall: 1.515.294.4916