[C++-sig] byte containers

Leonardo Rochael Almeida leo at hiper.com.br
Thu Oct 3 23:38:30 CEST 2002

I'm officially working with the TerraLib mantainers
(http://www.terralib.org/) to make Python bindings for it (Dave, you can
count this one as another boost.python project :-).

Part of the functionality of that library concerns map tiling: large
geo-referenced images are sliced and the tiles are stored in a Database.
Later on, you can ask the library to return the map of an area and it
will reassemble the image and return it. What is the best way to pass a
lump of bytes (with nulls in it) back and forth? Something that I could
get as a Python String would be nice, but std::string doesn't seem null
friendly... Ultimately I'll probably be feeding this lump of bytes to
PIL (Python Imaging Library) to make some final tweaks to the image
before publishing it on the Web (it's actually a Zope project).

Any tips?

--
Ideas don't stay in some minds very long because they don't like
solitary confinement.