[C++-sig] Re: Weave Scipy Inline C++

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Mon Sep 16 02:55:04 CEST 2002

From: "eric jones" <eric at enthought.com>
> > David and Eric,
> >
> > I have little to add in a technical sense, except
> >
> > Compilers
> >   http://www.comeaucomputing.com/
> >   Comeau C++ can handle *very* advanced C++, and costs only $50.
> >   One of the best C++ compilers available.
> >   http://www.DigitalMars.com/
> >   Almost as good by a hair, FREE, but not quite Boost-capable yet;
> >   will be once Walter gets the namespace support up to
> >   the very latest STL standards (couple months?); can serve
> >   as a fast back-end for Comeau.  The virtue of DM is ultra
> >   high compilation speed and code optimization.
>
> Do these guys support something that gcc doesn't?

Comeau does: 2-phase name lookup, export (not that I care), and it's
generally less buggy.

DigitalMars has only just acquired many of the template features neccessary
to be able to call it a C++ compiler. I would be *very* surprised if it was
anywhere nearly as conformant as Comeau *or* GCC.

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting