[C++-sig] copy_const_reference or return_internal_reference?

Hugo van der Merwe hugo at adept.co.za
Wed Sep 25 07:39:07 CEST 2002

Can things like this go into some documentation somewhere, or maybe a
FAQ? (Wiki?)

It really helps to understand Boost.Python, while I find the current
documentation a little hard to fully comprehend. I suppose once a
tutorial is written, or the documentation finished, things will tend to
be a lot clearer...

Thanks,
Hugo van der Merwe

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 09:02:27PM -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
> From: "Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve" <rwgk at yahoo.com>
>

> > I have an object composed of 12 double. A const& to this object is
> returned by
> > a member function of another class. From the viewpoint of using the
> returned
<SNIP>
> copy_const_reference will make an instance with storage for one of your
> objects, size = base_size + 12 * sizeof(double). return_internal_reference
> will make an instance with storage for a pointer to one of your objects,
<SNIP>