[C++-sig] C++ const -> Python immutable?

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Wed Sep 25 15:31:47 CEST 2002

Yep. Implementing a notion of immutability is on the list for "someday".

However, I don't yet have plans to make a wrapper around a const reference
to T different from a wrapper around a reference to T. Python doesn't have
the notion of a const reference to a mutable object (though of course
proxies are possible). In python, objects are either mutable or immutable;
end-of-story.

However #2, I don't think it's impossible to implement that distinction.
Let's talk about it again after Boost.Python is released.

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting