[C++-sig] Interface design.

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Tue Apr 22 16:27:46 CEST 2003

tALSit de CoD <talsit at talsit.org> writes:

> Ok, just a quick question.
>
> I'm now writing an interface to a whole engine with boost (and
> loving it!), but I'm experiencing extremely long compile times, as
> one would imagine, with all the magic going on.
>
> Is it possible / recommended to split the file that defines the
> interface into various files? This is also because I want to split
> it into separate logical units as well, just like my engine, mainly
> two groups: core & nodes.

Yes.  You can either take the approach shown here:

  http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/v2/faq.html#c1204

Or you can actually break your extension module into separate
extension modules.  It's a little-known and underutilized feature of
Boost.Python that component-based development is supported.

> BTW: this stuff is great?

Is that a question <wink>?  I guess I'd answer "yes" ;-)

> Does anyone have a fansite for this?

  http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/boost_2epython

is the closest thing I've found.  Why don't you start an actual
fansite?

> And the peer-support on this is absolute magnificent!! Cheers and
> keep up the incredible work!

Thanks very much; I'm glad to hear it's working well for you.