[C++-sig] Python and C++ - Newbie question !!

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Wed Aug 6 13:11:21 CEST 2003

Hi,

[snip]
    SKC> However, I need to do the same thing from python. I would
    SKC> like to use python as an input mechanism to this code and
    SKC> would like to make it in the Overture framework from
    SKC> Python. The python module that we generate to do this should
    SKC> be in a position to understand the functionality of all the
    SKC> classes which are defined somewhere in the software but whose
    SKC> objects are declared in the code that we write in OVERTURE.

    SKC>  Can someone tell me how I can go about this ??

You'll need to wrap parts of the Overture library to Python and this
will require quite a bit of effort initially.  You only need to wrap
parts that you intend to use.  Once you wrap the libraries to Python
you can use Overture from Python.  You can use Boost.Python or SWIG to
generate the Python wrappers.  You'll need to read the respective
tutorials/manuals, start with the small examples, get familiar and
then go on to try and wrap Overture itself.

>From what I can tell of Overture this is not going to be a trivial
project.

Good luck!

cheers,