[C++-sig] Re: Doubts with wrapping/using abstract bases.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Aug 14 08:34:51 CEST 2003

>>>>> "RG" == Raoul Gough <RaoulGough at yahoo.co.uk> writes:

[snip explanation by RG of how test_holder.py works]

Thanks for the explanation, it confirmed my understanding!

    RG> BTW, have you considered using boost::shared_ptr? I wouldn't
    RG> trust std::auto_ptr with this kind of stuff. Also, storing raw
    RG> pointers in a vector is just asking for trouble if you ask me.

Dave enlightened me on the advantages of using boost::shared_ptr a
month or so back.  Unfortunately I am not in a position to change my
code at this time for two reasons: (a) I'll need to investigate if
there is a performance hit for my kind of code (b) I don't have the
time to change the interface in my code right now and carefully
eliminate cyclic reference loops etc.

Storing pointers in a vector is asking for trouble?  It might be true
in general but I'd say using pointers carefully is not bad.  It has
worked well for me so far.

cheers,
prabhu