[C++-sig] Re: Why Python for C++ programmers

Mike Thompson mike.thompson at day8.com.au
Mon Jan 6 08:00:00 CET 2003

"David Abrahams" <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote in message
news:u8yz4qk31.fsf at boost-consulting.com...

> Hi All,
>
> I'm starting work on some articles and talks about Boost.Python. Some
> of these are primarily for a "C++ audience", and I'll have to at least
> briefly make the case for why a C++ programmer should care about
> Python. Some of the answers are obvious to me, but I thought I should
> get additional feedback from a group who must have their own
> well-thought-out reasons.
>
> Here are some things I've thought of.
>
> In broad strokes, they're complimentary because:
>
> * C++ is hard. Python is easy
>
> * C++ is fast. Python is small
>
> * C++ is "dangerous" (easy to crash). Python is "safe"
>
> * C++ is rigorous. Python is loose.
>
> * C++ is compiled. Python is interactive.
>
> * C++ has a deep and focused standard library. Python has broad
>   libraries
>
> * C++ has limited introspection capability. Everything in Python is
>   introspectable
>
> * C++ is supported to varying degrees on different platforms. The
>   latest Python really does run ``everywhere''.

I'm a bit late to this, but my 2c worth is:

C++ is deep. Python is broad.
C++ is complex. Python is simple.
C++ is wonderfully fast. Python is mostly fast enough.
C++ is hard. Python is easy.
C++ will be portable one day. Python genuinely is already.
C++ is impressive. Python makes me smile.
C++'s draws great power from rigidity. Python from flexibility.
C++ is for large. Python is for small, medium and large.
C++ is sometimes where I finish. Python is always where I start.

Python and C++ are to my software development as Taxis and Aircraft are to
my
business travel. Most times I only need a Taxi. Sometimes I need more than
that. Even then its the combination of the two that gets me there.

I wouldn't be without either.

-Mike.