[C++-sig] Pyste: added new build options.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Mon Jul 7 21:50:46 CEST 2003

    >> (a) support for hold_with_*, add path to sys.path,
    >> (b) fix for the --multiple bug and
    >> (c) support for the --only-wrap and --only-main?
    >>
    >> Please let me know what you'd prefer and I'll send you the
    >> appropriate patch.

    N> I already applied the other too, you can send only this new

I've attached the patch for the new options.  The patched pyste.py
file also has updated documentation on the available options.  Take a
look at my changes and if you think its OK check it in.  The
SingleCodeUnit.py changes just one line.  I explicity call close since
I don't really trust/know when the object will actually be deleted.
Maybe I'm paranoid but I think its better safe than sorry.

    N> patch. Could you also write a doc patch, explaining this new
    N> options? The relevant file is pyste/doc/pyste.txt.

Oh, all the Pyste docs are generated from that text file?  Cool!  I'll
add documentation to it.  I was thinking of adding a few things:

 * installation via distutils (I think its worth documenting)
 * update the options page (that is if you think my patch is OK).
 * There is a small section in the Wrapper docs where I'd like to
   clarify a point.
 * Mention that you can import another Python file in the same
   directory and use that.  I don't quite know where this would go but
   I guess the wrapper section is good enough.

However its going to take me a little while to add this.  Is it OK if
I get to this by the weekend (or if lucky earlier)?

Actually, I think it would be great if we could also look at the
following features:

  1. Can we specify exclude/rename function names in greater detail.
     Currently its impossible to selectively exclude one particular
     overloaded function.

  2. The current --multiple option generates one file per interface
     file.  I guess that is OK but maybe it would be useful to
     optionally specify the output filename in the interface.  I think
     this should be a low priority to do item (if at all it is
     useful).

cheers,
prabhu