[C++-sig] libraries and source install required to use Boost python?

Dave Reed drlinux at columbus.rr.com
Tue Jul 22 04:25:49 CEST 2003

I've just tried boost last week so I'm not up on all the details
yet. First, thanks to all the developers - I'm very impressed and
looking forward to using it more. I finally got it to work in a
separate directory using a Jamfile with based on the "project"

My C++ code uses OpenGL so by looking at examples, it seems I need to

Is this the correct way to do it (it appears to work fine)? What if
the library is in a non-standard place - do you specify -I and -L
compiler flags somehow? I didn't see much documentation on creating
Jamfiles. Is there specific documentation on these type of things?

I'm also uncertain what the comments in the Jamrules file are saying:

# Establish  the root of the boost installation. Most targets will want
# $(BOOST_ROOT) in their #include path.  $(gTOP) is the name of the
# containing the path from the invocation directory to the project root.
path-global BOOST_ROOT : $($(gTOP))/../../.. ;

What include path is it talking about? Should I get setting CFLAGS to

Also, I just downloaded the latest Red Hat beta and it now includes
boost for the first time (or at least part of it). On my other system
where I installed boost from scratch, I've got a boost-build.jam that
points to where boost is installed.

# Specify path to the boost build system
BOOST_ROOT = /usr/local/src/boost_1_30_0 ;
boost-build /usr/local/src/boost_1_30_0/tools/build ;

I'm not certain what to do on the Red Hat beta system since there's no
source. Here's the RPMS they've split it into:

 I can post a list of the files (rpm -ql for each rpm) from the boost
RPMS if anyone wants or put them on a web site.