[C++-sig] exceptions and multiple modules

greg Landrum greglandrum at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 23 03:22:36 CEST 2003

[boost 1.30, g++ 3.2, redhat 8.0, python 2.2]

We've been having strange order dependence problems when using exceptions
and multiple extension modules.  I've attached an extremely simplified
example that demonstrates the problem.

The example includes two small extension modules, moda and modb, each of
which defines a single function that throws an IndexError.  If I do:
 >>> import modb
 >>> import moda
 >>> modb.tossitb()
everything works fine (I get the expected IndexError)

If, however, I reverse the import error:
 >>> import moda
 >>> import modb
 >>> modb.tossitb()
I get the dreaded "RuntimeError: unidentifiable C++ exception"

Any ideas as to what might be going on here?

"Jamsegment" includes the lines I added to the $Boost/libs/python/test
Jamfile to build things.

Thanks
-greg