[C++-sig] Re: args patch

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Thu Jul 31 20:28:00 CEST 2003

Nikolay Mladenov <nickm at sitius.com> writes:

> I can't get boost_python to compile with this swich, and I have
> 1.29.0 compiled with it.

You're saying Boost.Python 1.29.0 used to compile with /vmg?

> The problem is that one generally shouldn't mix binaries compiled
> with different pointer_to_member option and we have everiting built
> with /vmg which acording to the ms docs is the safest, since all the
> pointer-to-members have the same "sizeof".  Can the problem be that
> some "trait" switches because of the sizeof(pointer_to_member)?

I seriously doubt it.  This code is designed to be portable and
agnostic to how the compiler represents member pointers.

The errors we see are all of the form:

    "error C2039: 'member_name' : is not a member of

But if you look at the definition of 'some_template<instantiation>',
the member is certainly there.  This is compiler insanity, plain and

If indeed it used to compile, all I can suggest is that you do what I
did this morning: a binary search through time for the CVS change
which caused /vmg to start failing.  Tedious but effective.