[C++-sig] Re: Pyste bug - static member functions...

Nicodemus nicodemus at globalite.com.br
Wed Jun 18 02:25:30 CEST 2003

David Abrahams wrote:

>Nicodemus <nicodemus at globalite.com.br> writes:
>

>>Roman Sulzhyk wrote:
>>

>>>Talking about todo lists, another useful thing would be to be able to
>>>add a command line option to take XML file already pre-generated -
>>>that'll simplify pyste script development some, because with G++ 3.x
>>>series it takes considerable amounts of time to generate XML from C++
>>>and hence making iterative changes is complex.
>>>

>>That is a good idea. But passing individual filenames in the command
>>line does not seem pratical, because you have to specify a xml file
>>*per header file* that will be parsed. Perhaps a flag like "--xml-dir"
>>where you indicate where the xml files will be? That way, before Pyste
>>calls gccxml in the file "test.h", it checks if "test.xml" is present
>>in the xml-dir, and use that if present, or parses it otherwise. What
>>do you think?
>>

>What about reading the XML and producing a pickled representation,
>then re-reading from the XML whenever it's outdated?  Then we could
>easily integrate it with a build system.

Unforunately it is not that simple, because of header dependecies: B.h
includes A.h. Class B from B.h is exported, so B.xml is generated. User
adds a new method to A, and expects it to reflect in the wrapper for B,
but with a simplistic approach Pyste would not be able to note that B.h
is outdated.
I rather let this problem to build systems already out there, like
SCons: the user can easily extend it to generate gccxml files from the
headers, with dependency analysis built-in.