[C++-sig] Re: Re: long long unsigned issue...

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Sun May 4 03:44:00 CEST 2003

"Milind Patil" <milind_patil at hotmail.com> writes:

>> > This is best converted to Y(int) constructor.
>>
>> Why?
>
> Because if I have constructor Y(long unsigned unsigned int) precede
> Y(int) (and you rightly said it masks the int), then I get
>
> OverflowError: bad numeric cast: loss of range in numeric_cast
>
> for the python statement z = hello.Y(-1).  There is no way to convert a
> python -1L to a c++ long long unsigned int.

OK, I understand.

>> > I read up a bit on python long and learned that it is not like the
>> > c++ long. It seems the python long is a structure and is not width
>> > bound. How does boost handle python boost to long conversion?
>>
>> What is "python boost to long conversion"?  Please be specific.
>
> I meant python long to c++ long conversion by boost. For example,
> what happens if the python long is more than 64 bits wide?

If it doesn't fit in a C++ long (not neccessarily 64 bits), you'll
get an overflow error.

BTW, a Python int is precisely the same number of bits as a C++ long.
I don't know if that helps you at all.

BTW2, Boost.Python has a "long_" type which corresponds precisely to
a Python long.  You can use that in your constructor.

> How do I handle this in c++?

I guess it depends on the behavior you're trying to achieve.  Can you
explain precisely what you're after?