[C++-sig] OT: VC6 -> VC7

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Sun May 18 06:45:33 CEST 2003

[Brett Calcott]
> I'm using VC6 Prof, and would like to upgrade to avoid the
> internal compiler errors - but I am a little confused by the MS
> literature. Can someone let meknow whether this product:
>
> Microsoft® Visual C++T .NET Standard 2003
>
> which only costs $263.20 (New Zealand dollars), and is not an upgrade,
> has all of the code optimisations.

It does not.  See the third row in this table:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/howtobuy/choosing.aspx

> I seem to remember MS sold some Academic or Cheaper version that
> lacked a few essential items like optimisation.

There's also Visual Studio .NET Academic.

> I want to avoid having to purchase .NET studio, which contains
> lots of stuff I'll never use.

Sorry, I think you're stuck.  MS knows professional apps need the optimizer,
so they don't put it in the cheapest product.  The same was true of VC6, of
course.