[C++-sig] Re: OT: VC6 -> VC7

Brett Calcott brett.calcott at paradise.net.nz
Mon May 19 10:37:29 CEST 2003

"David Abrahams" <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:

> "Brett Calcott" <brett.calcott at paradise.net.nz> writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm using VC6 Prof, and would like to upgrade to avoid the internal
compiler
> > errors - but I am a little confused by the MS literature. Can someone
let me
> > know whether this product:
> >
> > Microsoft® Visual C++T .NET Standard 2003
> >
> > which only costs $263.20 (New Zealand dollars), and is not an upgrade,
has
> > all of the code optimisations. I seem to remember MS sold some Academic
or
> > Cheaper version that lacked a few essential items like optimisation.
> >
> > I want to avoid having to purchase .NET studio, which contains lots of
stuff
> > I'll never use.
> >
> > I've tried talking to MS in NZ - but they know little about the dev
> > products.
>
> I've asked some of my friends at Microsoft to try to clear this up.
>
> In the meantime, there are some known techniques for working around
> ICEs in VC6.  I'd have to recommend the upgrade to vc7.1 at any price,
> because it's a great compiler and well worth the investment. If,
> however, you're serious about staying with vc6 for any reason, Boost
> Consulting will be glad to be of assistance.

I'm quitting my job (and $) and going back to uni for 3-4 years, so my
budget is tight. I'll need the optimisations as I'll be writing some
simulations as part of my study - the core in C++, the rest will be in
python.

I can live with VC6 - I have for some years already - but I thought it might
be time to move on (sigh).

Thanks for your enquiries - my local MS shop had no idea.

Brett