[C++-sig] Mac OS 10 & type_with_alignment.hpp

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Thu May 22 02:41:06 CEST 2003

--- David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:
> > The Boost patches are attached. Strictly speaking it is probably
> > "wrong" to simply disable the static assertions in
> > type_with_alignment.hpp, but all our regression tests pass anyway.
>
> Hmm, those things assert that:
>
>     BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT(found >= Align);
>
> The alignment of the result type is at least as great as the alignment
> sought.
>
>     BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT(found % Align == 0);
>
> The alignment of the result type is a multiple of the alignment
> sought.
>
> If it's failing, it means either that our ability to calculate
> alignments is completely messed up or that we're allocating data at
> an inappropriate alignment.  I guess the latter isn't so bad, as long
> as it doesn't crash, but I'd like to know which it is.
>
> Can you describe the case where it's failing?  An instantiation
> backtrace might be quite illuminating.

It's failing while compiling this file (will not be removed any time soon):

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/cctbx/scitbx/array_family/boost_python/flex_histogram.cpp?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

I put back this (and only this) assertion:

     BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT(found >= Align);

The preprocessor output and the compiler error messages are here:

http://cci.lbl.gov/~rwgk/tmp/fh1.cpp
http://cci.lbl.gov/~rwgk/tmp/fh1.g++_errors

I put back this (and only this) assertion:

     BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT(found % Align == 0);

The preprocessor output and the compiler error messages are here:

http://cci.lbl.gov/~rwgk/tmp/fh2.cpp
http://cci.lbl.gov/~rwgk/tmp/fh2.g++_errors

Ralf