[C++-sig] Re: Mac OS 10 success

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Sat May 24 01:26:02 CEST 2003

--- Rene Rivera <grafik666 at redshift-software.com> wrote:
> I'll just update the existing one... But I have a question about GCC in your
> case. When you compile/install from sources where is it installed to? That
> is how can I find it as opposed to the built in c++?

We install all gcc's with, e.g., --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-3.3 because this gives
us a clean upgrade path. To select the desired gcc we use tiny setup scripts
that put, e.g., /usr/local/gcc-3.3/bin first in PATH and also extend
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH. So what I normally do is something like
this:

login ...
setup gcc33
bjam ...

> It would not. Is it standard, or required, for the Python build as framework
> to go where you have it? If it is I can just use that and assume the Python
> build does the right thing.

The last time I looked at the Python documentation it said something along the
lines of --prefix not being fully supported under Mac OS 10. I.e. most if not
all people will probably install in the same place as I did.

> >>     ### I'm fairly sure there are additional library path seetings here?
> >
> >Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.
>
> :-) In the current bjam toolset I have stuff for setting the load library
> search path so that it finds other libraries.
>
> >I am not entirely sure I understand your question. Trial answer: I only
> could
> >get it to work when specifying the full path. My experiments with
> >-L/Library/Frameworks/.../2.3 failed. Maybe because Python doesn't exist
> with a
> >..dylib extension?

> It's a question between:
>     -framework /Library/Framework/Python.framework/Version/2.3/Python
> or
>     -framework Python

I just tried the short form again and it does not work. I've tried -L... and
setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> Ah, got it, it's just the link to the dylib bundle (without the .dylib). You
> would think the -bundle_loader... option would be sufficient :-(

Yes, you would...

> I'll do the modifications and check it in. My concerns where in modifying
> python.jam, without really being able to test it, as that affects all python
> builds, not just the darwin one.

OK, sounds good, please give me a word and I'll try it out.

Ralf