[C++-sig] Re: [newbie] Failing to test boost.python under cygwin

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Sat May 31 21:06:17 CEST 2003

"Gilles Orazi" <gilles.orazi at varianinc.com> writes:

> I set the environement variables like that (taken from a post in the
> archives) :

You can't just copy something out of a post in the message archives
and expect it to work, since everyone's configuration is different.
Did you read
http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/building.html#configuration ?

> export PYTHON='E:\cygwin\bin\python.exe'
>
> export PYTHON_ROOT='E:\cygwin\lib\python2.2'
>
> export PYTHON_VERSION='2.2'
>
> export PYTHON_INCLUDES='E:\cygwin\usr\include\python2.2'
>
> export PYTHON_LIB_PATH='E:\cygwin\lib\python2.2\config'
>
> export PYTHON_STDLIB_PATH='E:\cygwin\lib\python2.2'
>
> export GCC_PYTHON_ROOT='E:\cygwin\usr'

When building from Cygwin, you should use a version of bjam built
under Cygwin and use Cygwin-style paths.  Paradoxically, you don't
need the variables listed in the link above that begin with
CYGWIN_...; those are just for when you're using Cygwin GCC from a
regular windows build of bjam.  On my Python installation, it's
sufficient to do:

    export PYTHON_ROOT=/usr

and let the defaults for all the other settings take effect.

HTH,
www.boost-consulting.com