[C++-sig] Big slow compilation

Greg Abbas greg at abbas.org
Sat Nov 1 02:06:35 CET 2003

I've got a question. I just returned to a project that I had written about a
year ago using boost::python version 1.28 (I think). After updating my
Debian system I had trouble resolving all the old dependencies, so I decided
to try 1.30, and gcc version 3.2. Now, my program (the boost::python part of
it is 1500 lines long) won't even compile on the old 256MB machine, so I
switched to a different Debian box that has 1GB of RAM and it compiles but
takes about 10 minutes. If I turn off debugging (no "-g3") then I can get it
down to about 3 minutes, but that's still pretty different from all my other
source files (some of which are a lot longer) that compile in a few
_seconds_. Is this the result of boost, or gcc, or what? It's kind of a
bummer because it makes my development cycle really slow. Is there anything
I can do? (Besides go out and buy some overclocked watercooled hotrod CPU
:-D).

Thanks,
-greg.