[C++-sig] Big slow compilation

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 2 17:20:15 CET 2003

Thanks to Bruno a.k.a Nicodemus there is a nice section on "Reducing compile
times" in the CVS version of the Boost.Python tutorial:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/boost/boost/libs/python/doc/tutorial/doc/quickstart.txt?rev=1.19&view=auto

Splitting up your project in suitable ways will make a big difference for your
development work. I have a project that takes an hour to compile from scratch
(with one CPU), but recompiling the bit that I am working on often takes less
than a minute. Unless I am changing core facilities like my array bindings. In
that case I am sure to use parallel builds (scons -j or bjam -j) which cuts
down recompiling from scratch to a little over 15 minutes on a $3k PC (2 CPU
Xeon with hyper threading turned on) with gcc 3.2.

Ralf