[C++-sig] boost.python on OS X 10.3 (Panther)

Rene Rivera grafik.list at redshift-software.com
Mon Nov 3 07:17:06 CET 2003

[2003-11-02] Bob Ippolito wrote:

>On Nov 2, 2003, at 9:23 PM, Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve wrote:
>
>> --- Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:
>>> -F will alter the search path for frameworks, just like -L for
>>> libraries
>>> The normal search path is something like:
>>>     ~/Library/Frameworks
>>>     /Library/Frameworks
>>>     /Network/Library/Frameworks
>>>     /System/Library/Frameworks
>>>
>>> On Panther, you want it to find Python.framework in
>>> /System/Library/Frameworks, so don't install another Python anywhere
>>> else if you're on Panther.
>>
>> Oh, if it's that then maybe this is useful:
>>
>> I noticed that the Python installation involves commands like:
>>
>> gcc -Wl,-F. -bundle -framework Python
>> build/temp.darwin-6.8-Power_Macintosh-2.3/_TEmodule.o -L/usr/local/lib
>> -o
>> build/lib.darwin-6.8-Power_Macintosh-2.3/_TE.so -framework Carbon
>>
>> Note the "-Wl,-F"
>
>-Wl,-F. means "tell the linker to look for frameworks in the current
>directory first" .. that's because the Python.framework isn't installed
>yet, so it's not on the normal search path.

The -F flag when specified straight, gcc -F ..., also makes it to the
linker.

Installing only one Python framework is _not_ an acceptable answer. When
Python 2.4 comes out people will install it, and you'll end up with two of
them. And then you have the problem of wanting to use/test with 2 different
versions and are unable to do it.

>By the way, the 2.2 version is neither framework nor dylib.  The Python

Like I said just above ;-) It's not the past I'm worried about but the
future. After all 2.2 doesn't work for Boost.Python on MacOSX regardless of
how it's built.

-- grafik - Don't Assume Anything
-- rrivera (at) acm.org - grafik (at) redshift-software.com
-- 102708583 (at) icq