[C++-sig] Re: container suite feedback & ideas

Joel de Guzman joel at boost-consulting.com
Mon Nov 3 12:14:22 CET 2003

Raoul Gough <RaoulGough at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> "Joel de Guzman" <joel at boost-consulting.com> writes:

>> One thing that I don't quite understand with the new indexing suite
>> is why it didn't build up on what's already existing. Support for these
>> compilers has been there from the start. It seems rather wasteful
>> to throw away what has been developed. Porting to VC6/7 is something
>> that you'd not want to repeat.
>
> I'm beginning to see what everybody means about those compilers. Maybe
> I could have done more to stay within the existing indexing suite
> framework, but I thought we discussed these things back in September
> when I first started out. At the time, I didn't see an easy way to
> adapt it to the separation into traits and algorithms that I went
> for. Anyway, I would surely have broken it for MSVC6 in any case, with
> the number of extensions that I ended up doing, since I didn't have
> MSVC6 available to test with. I'm now starting to get to grips with
> the problems, though.

Well, I assumed that you were going to break apart the interface, but
I didn't realize, until later, that you were also going to depart from the
implementation. Anyway, I thought you knew what you were doing
and assumed that you knew the VC6/7 issues from the start. Pardon
me; I should have warned you more loudly.

Regards,
--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com