[C++-sig] Re: Boost.Python scope

Raoul Gough RaoulGough at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 10 16:22:30 CET 2003

"Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve" <rwgk at yahoo.com> writes:

> --- Nicolas Fleury <nidoizo at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> This is very nice, since I have a way of working with a
>> boost::python::object.  However, my question remain, should Boost.Python
>> scope/goal be enlarged to have no need for Py... C functions, providing
>> a full C++ API for Python/C++ interaction?
>
> You are asking the right question. Some work on this was done more
> than a year ago. Basically the idea was to write a Python script
> that generates C++ wrappers for the entire Python "C" API with all
> reference counting handled by boost::python::object and
> boost::python::handle<>. Very unfortunately, how should I say, that
> horse was beaten dead somehow. Now we need an intrepid new horse to
> pull this off. If someone feels brave enough to step forward I'll
> try to help and dig out the work that was done before.  Ralf

Sounds interesting. I assume you had some kind of C function
declaration parser to drive it? I'd be tempted to take a look, but I
should probably be focusing on getting some gainful (i.e. paid)
employment instead. How much work do you think was left in it?

--
Raoul Gough.
(setq dabbrev-case-fold-search nil)