[C++-sig] Boost.Python Deployment Dependencies

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 27 18:18:54 CET 2003

--- Paul Grenyer <paul at paulgrenyer.co.uk> wrote:
> I then tried installing the python interpreter and libraries as well as
> our new application, this worked. I then renamed the python23
> directory, expecting our application to now fail. It didn’t. I am now
> somewhat confused about what boost.python actually depends on????

I don't have an answer, but here are some related thoughts:
Relocating Python under Unix works without problems, but I've not tried to do
this under Windows. It would be great if it worked, but I am a bit concerned
about registry entries which are global to the machine (as opposed to a login
session). E.g.:

C:\>assoc .py
.py=Python.File

C:\>ftype Python.File
Python.File=C:\Python23\python.exe "%1" %*

C:\>assoc .pyc
.pyc=Python.CompiledFile

C:\>ftype Python.CompiledFile
Python.CompiledFile=C:\Python23\python.exe "%1" %*

C:\>assoc .pyo
.pyo=Python.CompiledFile

C:\>ftype Python.CompiledFile
Python.CompiledFile=C:\Python23\python.exe "%1" %*

I am not sure if there are other associations. Maybe you are lucky and you
don't depend on any of these?

> I don’t want to have to install python on every machine where we want
> to install our application, I want to be able to include the necessary
> boost.python dependencies in our install script.

If you figure it would be nice if you could post a summary.

Ralf